My coaching clients, Mastermind members, and course attendees ask me one question probably more than any other: “Do I have to blog?” I hear you: you have enough to do already and you are not a writer, but I would say that blogging is absolutely crucial to the success of your business.
For the last six months, I’ve kept a commitment to blog 5 days a week. It’s been hard at times, but that consistency has paid off. Actually, it’s done more that that: my readership has exploded! The number of followers on my blog has increased; my Facebook and Twitter followers have increased; and that is just that many more people that know about my business and what I offer, right?
Blogging may seem “old school” to you, and maybe you just don’t see the point of it, but here are my top 5 reasons that you should have a blog on your website:
1. Having frequent, fresh new content (like from a blog) makes Google rank your website higher than a site without that fresh content. Updated content lets Google know that your site is active and they should keep paying attention to it. Every new indexed page is another opportunity to improve your SEO and drive traffic to your website. Because how often are you really updating your About page or your Services page? Google only needs you to update that blog with new content 2-3 times per week to be considered “fresh,” so you don’t have to blog every single day. And you don’t have to write a book – just be sure to use those keywords to attract attention
2. Blogs are the easiest way to position you as an expert in your field. There are probably thousands of blogs out there about interior design but a lot of them are not by designers, and we are the experts in this field. Own that. People want to hear what you have to say because you are the professional and they like your style. By posting topics that resonate with your audience and show your knowledge, you are marketing your skills for your business and services.
3. Blogging also gives you great content for your social media. You can (and should) have your blog auto-post to your Facebook business page and Twitter, giving you new content for both of those platforms. You can also use a photo from your blog on Instagram. This “360 approach” to your content will allow you to drive traffic to your social media, and then from your social media back to your website. That’s what I call a win-win!
4. You can really highlight your niche, what makes you different from all other designers, by using your blog. I always say that if 10 of us wrote about the color red, none of us would approach that topic in the exact same way. This is a great chance to show prospective clients and partners why you are so unique!
5. Driving traffic to your website increases the number of people who know about your brand and services. The more people that know, the more chances you have to convert the occasional blog reader into a client or a lead on a client. More clients equal more opportunities to make money for your business and do the thing we all love to do: Design!
Once you get into blogging, it will get easier. Stay committed to having a real voice and talk about things that interest you but always try to relate it back to design because, in the end, that’s the whole point. Also be sure you’re delivering authenticity! It will make it that much easier to be trusted as a designer while boosting your business at the same time.
So have I convinced you? Blogging really isn’t that hard, and the more you do it, the more you’ll enjoy it! Let me know what you think in the comments section below!