I love creating spaces where people can gather and visit…it must be the Southern girl in me! And in my farmhouse project – featured on the April cover of Traditional Home – I wanted to give my clients several family-friendly rooms that would be perfect for their large family gatherings!
I have a few tricks for making sure everyone in the family feels comfortable and welcome, and I put them together in a fun Tip Clip for Traditional Home, so let’s take a look:
See how just a few thoughtful touches can make all the difference in a family-friendly space? Let’s review those ideas one more time:
1. The biggest key is to be sure you have lots of seating that can accommodate everyone, including some fabulous swivel chairs that will let people watch TV and still have conversations with others in the room.
2. When you have a lot of kids, you know that games and toys can accumulate, right? So I like to provide cabinetry where those things can be tucked away when guests are expected.
3. Multifunctional furniture is a great way to welcome everyone – like a coffee table that adjusts from a drinks height to a game-table height!
4. Even in formal spaces like a living room you can keep things welcoming for little ones, like using family-friendly fabrics that can stand up to spills and messes. There’s no need to keep anyone out of a room like this!
5. To let your spaces move between entertaining and family time, you can hide the TV away behind a screen like the one I created with wall art. That lets the little ones know when TV time is over!
Try these tips in your home to make every family member feel welcome! And let me know what your ideas are for family-friendly spaces in the comments section below!