I am a major planner – I love to make lists and set steps to help me reach my goals. And there’s nothing I like to do more than to start thinking about what I want to accomplish next. If you’re the type of person who thinks that’s crazy, or you don’t know why in the world you should start thinking about 2017 right now, I have 5 good reasons for you to start your planning for the new year!
1. The payoff. What you set in motion now will start making money for you in 2017! It’s like that quote that says that the future depends on what you do today – it’s so true. Marketing and PR that you start now can garner press for you in the spring. Business outreach that you put into motion today can pay off with customers in 2017. But it won’t happen if you don’t start the process as soon as possible.
2. Set a new course. Where are your weak spots right now in your business? Where do you need help? You may want to retool your brand, or add services to your menu, or expand your revenue streams. Think of the top 3 things that you want to change or add, and start organizing a new strategy to get you to those goals. Just writing that down will help you define your path to more success and a better business in 2017.
3. Saving for a big idea. For those new ideas you’ve defined for your business, will you need money to invest to make them happen? Now is the time to start setting aside funds for any money you’ll need next year! Having these next few months to put aside some cash will really come in handy for next year’s plans.
4. Organize your calendar. I know you’re probably super-busy just trying to get through each day right now, much less the rest of this year. But I promise that if you pull out a 2017 calendar and take the time to map out a few things, you’re going to have a better and more organized year than ever before! I plan any business trips that I want to take – like to markets or events – so I can figure them into my budgeting process. I also like to set aside my vacation now, so it’s locked in and can’t be moved! And I start really defining a marketing and promotions calendar for the blog, social media, and other marketing. It makes creating all that content so much easier and quicker when we do that. Be sure to include any holidays and special events that you want to hook onto for promotions. Like World Interiors Day on May 27 in 2017!
5. Set the tone for inspiration. Make 2017 your most inspired and creative year ever! I do this in several ways, but the most important is to set my theme for the year through a word or phrase. This is a great way to remind yourself through the year of what you want to accomplish. This year my word was FOCUS, and I have kept that in the back of my mind through the last 9 months. What will your word or theme be? And remember to set aside time (see the calendar above) to refresh your skills – to read, create, and learn!
Use these 5 ideas to prepare for your best year ever in 2017! Let me know what you think in the comments section below, and tell me how you’re getting ready for the new year!
PS: Need help setting goals or getting your finances in order for a fabulous 2017? Come join me at my Designer MBA event in Dallas Nov. 2-3 and we can work together to transform your business! You will learn how to charge what you’re worth, how to attract the ideal client for your company, how to schedule your time, and the best way to market your business. Learn more by clicking here!