I love the New Year. What a feeling of freedom to get a brand new start every 12 months. You can throw out some of the things you started but decided weren’t for you. You can take another stab at those things on your list you never got around to. The sky is the limit at the beginning of each year! It’s a chance to dream big and go for it!
Some people feel like resolutions are a negative thing, but not for me. Resolutions are just another set of goals as far as I am concerned. And I make goals all the time–every day, every week, every month. And I happen to be great at setting goals, especially for work, and the good news is that I actually achieve most of them.
The thing I love most about my New Year’s Goals as opposed to the everyday kind, is that the New Year’s ones feel like “special” goals to me. So I take extra care in deciding what the “special” things that I want to accomplish this year might be.
So here they are. My very special, thought-out and curated set of resolutions for 2011…
1. Get Healthy–food, exercise, massages, water, yoga, hiking. These are the things that make me healthy and I want to plan them in my schedule and stick to it!
2. Stay Home More–this is a challenge with my travel schedule of the past few years, so when I don’t have to travel, I want to stay home and spend more time nesting!
3. Read more for pleasure-with all the things I read for work, I have a hard time squeezing in books for fun. This year I want to make time!
4.Go on More Bike Rides–and take a picnic too!
5. Host regular cocktail hours–a good excuse to see my friends and I can stay home while doing it. A win-win for my resolutions!
6.Put all my precious photos in photo books–I take lots of photos but they rarely make it into books. I don’t want to turn around in 20 years and not know where they all are.
7. Do more weekend craft projects–not for work, just for fun! This means getting in my craft room and whipping something up. Or even getting out my sewing and embroidery machines!
8. Experient more in the kitchen–I want to stop making the same ole thing when I cook. This is a year to be adventurous. Bring on the fresh ingredients please!
9. Take up a new hobby–My parents have a new River house so Fly Fishing is my first choice. Who knows if I will like it but I want to give it a whirl.
10. Tweet More–I love the relationships I have built on Twitter, I want to spend more time there in 2011
11. Spend more time on myself–I rarely take the time to pamper myself. It’s usually just put on some clothes and get out the door! This year, I want to put more effort into dressing, grooming, facials, and more. I might even get out some of that great jewelry I have and wear it for no special reason.
12. Gratitude–whether responding to blog comments, writing more thank you notes or just giving thanks for my many blessings, there is just no such thing as too much gratitude. I plan on making a special place in my office that makes me want to sit down and actually use more of the gorgeous stationery that I have.
13.Remember I have a choice in my life–I am in charge here and I can decide what I must and must not do. This year, I need to feel less constricted by my ideas and obligations. I often forget that I do get a choice in whether I take on too much stuff. And just because I have a GREAT idea, I don’t have to start it today! So this year is for saying No more to the things that just aren’t that important!
14. Be present–be truly present. I am usually looking ahead and planning for the future. But if the present isn’t enjoyed, what good is the future? I want to enjoy the journey more and think about the end result less.
15. Plan special moments with my daughter that are just hers! No computer, no cell phone, no iPad…just her and only her! This photo is from a great moment spent with my daughter a year or so ago. I need more of these in my life. She is already growing up so fast and I want more special mommy-daughter moments. They do more for me than I think they even do for her!
Well there you have it! My special goals for 2011. Many of these will be a challenge for me so I will keep you posted on my progress. But if I achieve even one or two of these things, I will feel like 2011 is a great success!! I am already making great strides with #3, #10, and #15. Hooray!
What are your special goals for 2011? I’d love to hear from you.