Last month on KATV’s Good Morning Arkansas, I announced a contest for Design Camp tuition and a Room Rescue Plan. Today I’m happy to reveal the Room Rescue Plan won by Linda Tabor of Monticello, Arkansas.
Linda requested her 20 year old kitchen be lightened up. The dark wallpaper and cabinetry finish are definitely in need of an update!
The cabinetry turning the corner is awkward and blocks the view from the kitchen to the breakfast area. Not to mention it seems it would be unpleasant to anyone sitting at the counter stools.
Here’s a look at the concept board I showed on the segment. My goal was to update the room with fresh colors and reuse a lot of the existing cabinetry.
1. The awkward cabinets turning the corner above the peninsula are removed. I would suggest relocating the microwave by installing an undercounter microwave drawer. For an even more dynamic look, consider adding 12-15″ high glass-fronted cabinets above your existing wall cabinets.
2. A painted cabinetry finish with distressing helps to update the look.
3. Installing Ceramica Alhmabra Beveled Brick tile on the backsplash gives an updated look that’s classic!
4. This Smokebell Lantern from Shades of Light installed above the island is a much more beautiful option compared to the existing fluorescent lighting.
5. Recovering the counter stools is a key way to updating your color scheme. I propose covering the ouside back in Circle Dance in Azure by F. Schumacher. Cover the inside back and seat with an easy to clean vinyl, Southfork 116 by Kravet.
Best wishes for your kitchen remodeling project, Linda!