We all want the sophisticated and chic designs that we see in magazines, but our pocketbooks may not feel the same way about luxury design as we do! There is a way to get those luxe looks for less – you just have to be smart about where and how you spend your budget. It doesn’t mean I (or any other designer) can give you a top-of-the-line product for a big-box bargain-store price.
Beautiful and intricately detailed homes cost more than you think. So you’ll notice in the video that I don’t say luxury for a bargain price, but luxury for a moderate price. You definitely get what you pay for in my opinion, but there are many ways that you can save money in some areas so you can splurge in other places, and that’s what this Tobi TV is all about.
Instead of automatically saying, “There is no way I could afford that in my home,” I’m going to give you some tips and ideas for how you can mix high- and low-priced items to create best magazine-worthy looks!
See! You don’t have to go all out to have a fabulous space! Choosing where to save and where to splurge is what it’s all about. Let’s recap those tips for getting luxe looks for less:
1. Drapery doesn’t have to be the world’s finest silk to be luxurious. Try a polished cotton for a less expensive, gorgeous look!
2. Coffered ceilings give the look of luxury, but using simple cove moulding instead of intricately detailed options helps. Then consider adding luxe touches like a touch of gold paint or a pop of lavender on the ceiling. It makes this ‘wow’ look less expensive.
3. Skip the expensive dining table and opt for an acrylic base with a glass top. It’s often less expensive than a top-of-the-line wood variety. It’ll save money and create the perfect upscale dining experience.
4. Wallpaper can be expensive, especially brands like de Gournay, but using it on only one wall allows you to have a luxe look without breaking the bank! Another tip, I color-matched the paint with the rest of the walls so there is a perfectly seamless transition.
5. Repurpose some of your existing furniture by reupholstering with fabulous fabric or painting with lacquer. This will save you money and give you a great luxurious look. And yes, painting and reupholstering by a professional isn’t super-cheap, but it can be less expensive than the often thousands of dollars that new, fully-upholstered dining chairs can cost. And every little bit of savings can add up.
6. Custom rugs don’t have to be crazy-expensive. Try a carpet supplier that makes custom rugs to keep your design bill in check. Or even have a rug made from patterned carpet with a decorative binding or serged edge detail.
These tips will give you a lot of look for smaller investment! And even though taking on a luxury design project isn’t cheap, there are certainly areas where you can save so that, when the project is complete and looking gorgeous, you will never even remember the more expensive option. And you’ll feel so proud of your savings, you might even like the more affordable substitute better than the more luxury option. Let me know in the comments below how you give your home a luxe look for less!