Hello Friends! I hope you are settling into this new year and you’re getting excited about what the next twelve months will bring to you.
One of the biggest things on my agenda for 2014 is the design of my new home. We moved in about 3 months ago but I was quite busy late last year and just didn’t have time to get in my design work room and decide what our new home’s design would entail. To be honest I haven’t even totally unpacked or hung anything on the walls.
So the fun starts now and the best part is I am going to bring you along the design process with me and even let you weigh in on some of my decisions. Fun, right?
So every Thursday starting today, I hope you will join me for my new series New House Diary. We’re going to talk home goals, floor plans, paint colors, furniture, kitchen design, closets and so much more. You name it, if it’s in my house we will cover it.
One of my favorite decisions I’ve made about this house is that I am going to take my own sweet time to get it just the way I want it. It’s going to be a process that involves blending old and new, reproductions and antiques, remodeling and repurposing and none of these decisions can happen overnight.
I plan to be more mindful than I have ever been before, filling my home with quality and craftsmanship. I’ll be inspired by some of my favorite things like these vintage grapes a gift from my best friend that remind me of my great-grandmother. Maybe they’ll just be my leaping off place for the whole shebang. What do you think?
I will blend existing pieces (like these familiar items from my last home) with new products and antiques for a unique mix that represents my family and me and the things most important to us. We will have a “NO FILLER” philosophy. Meaning if it is not something we truly love, it doesn’t get a home in this house. And I will be explaining my motivations for the design each step of the way. Like why that 70′s wood paneling just has to go.
So for today before I get busy planning what to do with all the things that don’t work in my new home (because although it will do for the moment, you can see my stuff just doesn’t work the same in this house), let me tell you my Tobi’s Top Ten things I DO love about my new digs. Here we go…
1. The lot—it is spacious (almost an acre) on a gorgeous corner with a large front yard and set on the golf course in the back. The land alone was worth buying the house.
2. The layout. My neighborhood (which is our neighborhood of choice) was developed in the 60’s and 70’s initially and most of the houses are traditional two story with 8 foot ceilings and the master suite upstairs. But not this one. We have a spacious Master suite on the main level and our Living Room and Sunroom both have 9 foot ceilings which is a bonus. With large spacious rooms, about 1000 extra feet than our last house, and great traffic flow, this house is perfect for the entertaining and social lifestyle my family and I love.
3. The pool—a 30 year old concrete beauty, my vision for it is reminiscent of some of my favorite old Hollywood hotels like the Beverly Hills Hotel. I can already see us sipping cocktails lying on chic black and white loungers, can’t you?
4. My daughter’s room. Basically a second master suite but upstairs, this room is the perfect place for my young lady to grow for many years. It’s spacious with an en suite bath and a sizable closet. What more could my little glamour girl ask for?
5. Can you say sleeping porch? Or at least it will be once I screen it in and spruce it up. I can‘t wait to spend many Spring and Fall days here relaxing, reading and napping with a view of the pool and the golf course.
6. My yoga and meditation room aka the second guest room. Yep, my new massage table is right at home in this space and I can’t wait to make it a serene retreat for keeping my mind and body healthy without leaving my house.
7. The oversized garage—what a convenience after squeezing into our last one for 7 years. My hubby and I have plenty of room for our cars plus lots of great additional storage. A real luxury.
8. And speaking of storage…how about not one but two walk-in attics. Yep, no more climbing a wobbly ladder carrying arm-fulls of stuff. It’s just opening a door and walking right in to my easy-to-organize dreamy attics these days. What a relief!
9. The gorgeous colonial exterior. Yes, I need to tweak the scale of the architectural details a bit, but that’s the easy part. The overall style is classic, beautiful and timeless.
10. And finally it may sound silly, but I LOVE my hot water spout at the kitchen sink. Not a convenience that I would have thought to include but when I make my daily cup of tea in less than a minute, it’s a real treat. Though the kitchen needs a major over-hall, this is one little feature that will make an appearance post renovation.
So there you have it. My favorite things about this new place we call home. Now it’s decision time. I’m off to start designing. Meet me back here next week for another edition of New House Diary and see what revelations I’ve had.
Oh and by the way, I may just find some FABULOUS antiques for my new abode next week in Atlanta during 1st Find at the Farm. Don’t know what that is?
Well maybe it’s because you’re still in full-on holiday mode, or maybe you’re already back in the swing of things and missed our announcement, but today I want to give you a little reminder that next week, on January 7th, you’re invited to join me at the Antique & Design Center’s very first Atlanta Antique show: 1st Find at the Farm. I will be speaking on how to work with antiques for interiors that look fresh and timeless, just like my new house. I’ll be speaking and then touring and then dining, and YOU can join me for the whole event! And you can see in person whether I find any antiques for my new home design. Or even help me pick some out.
Here’s how to get a MOOve on and join me at what is sure to be a glamorous, fabulous, and fun evening:
Interested and excited, but missed all of the details in my first announcement about the event? CLICK HERE.
Ready to help me look for finds for my new house? To buy your ticket for my talk plus a shopping tour and dinner with me, SIGN UP HERE.
If you’re an antique hound and a designer who’s ready to hit this new event just before Atlanta Market, learn more about 1st Find at the Farm and the amazing antique dealers who will be showing their goods. Just CLICK HERE.
Oh, and I haven’t forgotten our resolutions and dreams. They are still on their way, so hang with me. We’re going to jumpstart this year over the coming days and weeks together. Thanks for allowing me a moment for a few dreams about my house.