There’s nothing like the holiday season to get you in the mood for a giveaway. So I’m excited to say that today we are ready to reveal the winner and our design solution for our current Designer Mailbag giveaway!
And the winner is…Kimberley Smith of Signal Mountain, TN! Congrats, Kimberley!
Here’s a bit of what Kimberley had to say about the design challenge she’s facing:
Tobi, Please help. We have a great home on Signal Mountain, TN. We have furnished the entire house except our Master Bedroom. The room has great bones but we are stumped on function and layout. The fireplace lends this room to a cozy retreat but as you can see, we are far from that. We would be so grateful for your help.
Kim’s predicament really spoke to me because–as you know by now–I’m in the midst of a self care revival, and your very own Master Bedroom should be your haven, your little cocoon of comfort in the world. So I guess Kim needs a functional, beautiful solution ASAP! Let’s get to work.
Kim’s “before” photos:
I think Kim’s right. This room has lots of potential, but it’s not very warm and inviting in its current state. Now, have a look at what I have envisioned for the fireplace area of the room, since she thought it could be cozied-up:
What did I do?
- First, the TV in the corner wasn’t doing it for me, so I propose that the mantel be lowered to accommodate a flat-screen television for optimal bed viewing.
- I thought a change of wall color was in order, so we took it from the deep sage (almost olive, really) tone to a serene blue. This color is by Sherwin Williams and is called Watery (SW 6478). For the trim color, I chose Creamy (SW 7012).
- I added striped drapes to make the room have a more complete look and to fill the room with the texture and color offered by this F. Schumacher striped fabric (Malibu Stripe). The upholstered chairs draw in a complimentary fabric with a more medium-scale pattern (you know how I LOVE geometrics!).
- The tall chest of drawers has been swapped with a lower, longer one, to maximize the use of the space and offer an opportunity to showcase a lovely piece of original artwork. This cabinet is from Burke Decor and the artwork is from Horchow.
- I flanked the fireplace with sketch prints from Soicher Marin and added an imitation flower arrangment from NDI and, of course, some pretty books as acessories.
- To provide a dynamic and multi-use element that would work with all of the deep-toned wood already present in the room, we chose these lovely nesting tables from Morris Antiques.
A BIG thank you to our giveaway sponsor, Morris Antiques! They are a fantastic resource for everything from 19th century antiques to contemporary vintage pieces. French, English, Chippendale, Victorian, or just plain retro — they have it all and I’m sure they will have just the piece to update your room! Visit them at their website and, if you love to get antique inspiration in your news feed, go “like” them on Facebook!
I hope this inspires you to see your own master bedroom with fresh eyes! The most important part of decorating your own home is making it a place you–and those closest to you–love to be!
p. s. If you have an eye for design, why not go enter the 2013 Color Trend Design Contest on Olioboard, a dynamic mood board and room design site that also allows you to connect with other design lovers and see what they’re working on and what products they’re loving right now! The winners of the contest will win a FREE ticket to one of my Camp Tobi Fairley signature events and Benjamin Moore Paint Prize Packs! So, what’s not to love? Good luck!