Nothing puts the finishing touch on a room like gorgeous window coverings. I really don’t think a room is complete without them! Too often, people forget to add them to their design – and their budget. Really great draperies (or curtains if you prefer the term) with gorgeous fabrics, can cost a lot, but I believe they are so worth it. So here are my Top 10 Tips for how to cover your windows in style!
1. Hang draperies as close to the ceiling as possible, and right under crown molding. That really adds height to your room.
2. I like drapes to just graze the floor, with no break or puddling. That gives you a modern and tailored look.
3. Use fabric that’s double the width of the window when possible, even if you don’t plan to ever close the drapes. Otherwise, they look too skimpy and inexpensive.
4. Use lining and interlining to give your drapery a good “hand” and a rich look.
5. To add interest to your treatments, you can have two fabrics sewn together to create blocks and stripes.
6. You can also get a custom look by adding banding, trims, or embroidery to panels.
7. Consider using blackout lining inside bedroom draperies. They’ll keep out the light for a great night’s sleep!
8. Be sure that your draperies complement the room’s design. Use fabrics that are found on other items in the room for a coordinated look.
9. Consider shades on windows where you don’t want to use draperies. You can use balloon shades, Roman shades, pleated shades, and more.
10. Don’t forget that the hardware matters, too. I like rods of all thicknesses depending on the style of the space and I add glamour, formality, or a casual sensibility with the finial. It’s a bit like the jewelry in the room.
Do you use drapery in your rooms? Why or why not? And what are your favorite tips? Let me know in the comments section below!