The one thing that I want for all of my clients is to design a space that really fits their personalities – that is a showcase for who they are. We can do that with the colors, patterns, and styles that they love, but nothing adds a uniqueness to a room more than things that really are personal to the people living there! So here are my top 6 tips to help you add that personality to your home!
1. Original art. Art is a very subjective thing – one person viewing it can feel completely different about than another person who’s also looking at it. That’s what makes it personal! If you love a piece of original art – no matter who did it or how much it costs – then you should use it in your decor. Sometimes that piece of art can be the jumping-off point for the color palette of the room, too, like in the space I designed above. And remember, you can also use other forms of art, like sculptures, textile art, and more.
2. Things that you collect. I absolutely love my collections of jadeite and glass grapes – they mean a lot to me. If you collect something that you love, then show it off. Grouping those items together can make a style statement all their own, so think about clever ways to display those collections you love.
3. Books and more books. I read a lot – and I have a lot of books to prove it! I display my books on tables and shelves, and they really add color and a uniqueness to a space. But don’t just buy a bunch of books to put out in your home. Only choose titles that you really want to read – that’s the only way to show who YOU are and what you love!
4. Things from your travels. There’s nothing that will take you right back to that fabulous getaway than a memento or something that you purchased from a local artisan! Showcase that piece of Venetian glass, or the woven baskets from that small village – they are so much better than some mass-produced knick knack for adding your stamp to a room.
5. Custom creations. I create custom looks all the time for my clients, like bespoke sofas or a one-of-a-kind finish on the walls. There won’t be another one like it in their neighborhood, that’s for sure! So consider how you can create something that’s all yours – like the silhouettes I designed above of my client’s children.
6. A dash of fun. Consider this your permission to go a little crazy! Try something new and experiment with the fun factor. A little whimsy goes a long way in adding personality, that’s why I created a simple black border and a fun wall pattern in this little girl’s nursery. It’s fun, and it’s different!
Adding personality to your spaces not only makes them unique, but it’s magical to live in rooms that are filled with things that make you happy, or that remind you of a trip or someone you love! What do you think? What would you add to your home to make it your own? Let me know in the comments section below!