If you have a teenager in your house, you know how different their idea of a “cool space” can be from yours! It can be a fun challenge to give teens what they want in their rooms, but I have a few can’t-fail tips that I use for my clients’ teenagers to design spaces that they love. Let’s take a look:
1. Let them express themselves! If they want a super-bright color on their walls that you might not choose, don’t fight it. Paint is inexpensive and it’s a small price to pay to give your teen a bit of that independence that they crave. They really want to make some of their own decisions, so let them go bright and bold!
2. Gather up. If you have the space in your home, give them a gathering place for their friends! Kids this age love to have their own hang-out spots, so give them a fun zone that’s all their own.
3. Try something different. A teen’s space can also be a fun place to experiment with design, so push your boundaries a bit. I put a cool denim finish on the paint in the game room above, and then outlined the ceiling in red and blue stripes. It gave the room a great vibe for the teens in the house!
4. Make it multipurpose. Give them zones in their rooms that allow them to have a lot of activities in that one space. For example, be sure to add a homework station, a seating area, a music area – whatever fits their interests and the amount of space in the room. And use multipurpose storage too, like the ottomans I used above that can be converted to tables with storage inside.
5. Go for function. Teens have a lot of stuff – especially a lot of electronic stuff – so be sure you have lots of plugs, USB ports, storage, and lighting. Maybe with all that storage the room can stay fairly clean most of the time. Fingers crossed!
6. Add some fun! A hanging chair or some whimsical details can really take a teen room over the top – and give them some fun along with the function.
7. Me time. But the best thing you can do for teens in their spaces is give them a bit of an escape from the world – a place where they can get away and feel comfortable. After all, isn’t that what we all want in our homes?
So what do you think about the teen rooms I created above? Tell me in the comments section below. And let me know what tips you have for creating a special space in your home for teenagers!
Want help creating the room of YOUR dreams? Try my online design service Inbox Interiors – together we’ll create the perfect design for you!