I usually have a firm policy of “Just Say No to Faux” – there is nothing like the real thing in most cases. But just like with any design rule, there’s always an exception.
For example, I love a good faux bois! What is faux bois? It’s French for “fake wood” which is exactly what it is, a fake wood or woodgrain. In fact, I love this design motif so much that I used it in one of my fabric designs for my Duralee collection!
The faux bois I used in the Jack and Jill bathroom for my Riverside Penthouse project is actually hand painted on the walls, giving this room a gorgeous textured look. Here are a few tips that tell you why I think faux bois is a real design winner:
Isn’t that a fun room? Let’s recap the fabulous faux bois ideas:
- Faux bois brings in an element of nature, which makes everyone and everything feel fresh and alive.
- Faux bois gives the impression of texture that can really amp up a space.
- The woodgrain look is also gender neutral, and here I used it in neutral tones. So it works well with any color, and in any room.
- Try getting a local artist to hand paint your faux bois to keep your space budget-friendly.
- You don’t have to worry about the trendiness of faux bois, it’s a classic finish that is always in style!
So what do YOU think about this wood-like look? Let me know in the comments section below!