Lighting is one of the most important things to think about when you’re creating a functional home. You need to consider every task that will happen and the mood you want to create for each room, and then ensure that you have lamps and layers of lighting fixtures that fit all those needs!
The right light can cast the perfect glow in a room, but the wrong one can drive you crazy. So let’s take a look at a few of my bright ideas for lighting up your home:
Now you can see how lighting can really make a difference! Let’s review those tips one more time:
1. Light is so important in a kitchen, especially over any work surface, like an island. Pendants direct a lot of light, so I love to use them wherever tasks and preparations are critical.
2. In a living area like a family room, light for things like reading and needlework needs to be brighter. But you also need softer lighting for watching TV, talking with friends and family, or to create a quieter mood.
3. Bedside lighting is really important in a bedroom, particularly if you like to read in bed. And be sure that light is within easy reach! I love swing arms lamps for this reason because they can pull over for the perfect placement.
4. In a dining room, I like to provide a chandelier over the table that will light up the table when dining. But don’t forget to put it on a dimmer. And I also love to use lamps on a sideboard for a softer glow.
5. In the bathroom, you want to have plenty of bright light to help with makeup application and getting ready to head out for your day. But be careful not to place a light directly over your head! It’s too harsh and will cast unflattering shadows.
I hope these tips have helped you see the light! This is one time when you really do want to steer clear of the “dark side!”