What if each time a client walked in the door of your offices, she was offered mint-infused water in gorgeous glassware and a handmade chocolate truffle? What if you showed up for every appointment at her house, unruffled, fully prepared, and right on time? What if she never once had to pick up the phone to call you because you and your staff were in regular contact, anticipating her questions before she even knew she had them? What if you gave her an exquisite thank-you gift at the end of the project? What if you gave every client that iconic white-glove service? Wouldn’t YOU want to work with a company that did all of that? I know I would!
Designing a white-glove customer experience is like designing a room — you have to think carefully about every element. So here are 8 ideas that will help you create that incredible experience for your clients:
1. Create a system for every point of contact. I want you to standardize all the points of contact with your clients by making checklists and setting up procedures so that you offer a consistently high level of customer service. If you have a system, you won’t drop the ball. And remember that your first point of contact is when a customer hits your website or calls your office, so be sure your brand is well represented in both of those areas, too.
2. Consistency is key. Do it the same way (fabulously) every single time for every single client. Besides the fact that it’s the right thing to do, also imagine how a client would feel if she compares notes with another of your clients and finds out she isn’t getting the same service. Yikes.
3. Gifts are great. Who doesn’t like to receive a little present? Pampering clients with thoughtfully chosen gifts at key stages of the project is an easy way to elevate your level of customer service. They don’t have to cost a lot to mean a lot. And never forget the power of a handwritten note!
4. Don’t leave them hanging. After the exciting presentation and before the installation is one long quiet time, as far as your client can tell. So be sure you have a communication system in place to keep them up-to-date and to let them know that you’re working hard on their project.
5. Elevate your ideas. Look at every system and step you have in place, from your presentation to any gifts you give. How can you add a WOW factor to really take your customer service to the next level? It could be something like sending an on-site video to them to tell them how excited you are to see progress on their home, to giving them their own private page on your website.
6. Do what you say you will. If you get down to basics, though, do you know what will make your client the absolute happiest? It’s if you can really deliver their project on time and on budget. So be sure you’re focusing on that as your top priority.
7. Own any mistakes. Hey, things happen – especially when there are so many moving parts to a project. But how you own up to your mistakes is what will really make your client feel like you care.
8. Say thank you. This seems so simple, but too many people forget it. Be sure to thank your clients for their business. They could have gone to anyone, but they chose you. Let them know you appreciate it – and don’t just stop with the end of their project. Check in with them throughout the year to let them know you’re still thinking of them.
Use these eight tips to take your customer service to that white-glove level! And let me know what you do to “wow” your clients in the comments section below.