Happy Tuesday Friends. It’s Time for Tobi TV. And this week I’m back with my friend P. Allen Smith and one of the segments for a recent episode of his nationally syndicated TV show Garden Style.
I loved shooting this episode with Allen last summer not long before I moved from my old house. It’s so much fun seeing many of my favorite things the way they used to be, now that I am finding new ways to use them in my new home. And even my cute Izzy makes an appearance in this video! Take a look…
So here are my Tobi’s Top Tips for Making Your Decor Meaningful:
1. I love an edited room, but sometimes edited can mean sterile. Be sure to bring in and collect things you really love to make your home nurturing and cozy.
2. If you have collections you love, like my Design and Architecture books, keep them out at arms reach so you can really use them. They become a functional accessory.
3. Add pops of color to your decor through other usable and beautiful items like pillows and throws. It’s even better if they mean something to you like my throw from a trip to Scotland and a pillow made from a scarf my friend brought me from Paris.
4. Be sure to use my favorite accessory, flowers. They are especially meaningful when cut from your own garden like my blue hydrangeas.
5. And finally, don’t forget to have a little fun. My Grecian bust was just a Tchotchke until I hung my necklaces on her. Then she had personality. I love this way of showing that I don’t take myself too seriously.
So what do you think? Do you like how I brought meaning and fun to my home? Is this something you can do or already do in your own home? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. And be sure to share this video with your Design and Garden loving friends!
See you next time on Tobi TV! Thanks for watching.